Full Moon in Aquarius – August 11, 2022
9:36pm EST/6:36pm PST
Theme: Breaking Free
by Andrea Dupuis
Aquarius is a sign of contradiction. On the one hand it’s ruled by Saturn in ancient astrology, the disciplined ‘lord of karma’ that is much like a stern father in its approach with reserved, cool, aloof and reserved old school thinking.
On the other hand, in modern astrology it’s ruled by Uranus – a planet about upheaval, rebelliousness and sudden reversals and changes.
Being co-ruled by these two opposing planets means whenever there’s a transit through Aquarius, there’s a sense of having a foot on the brake and the pedal at the same time.
During this Full Moon, we may feel an intense drive to move forward, to innovate, to break out of old outdated structures and do things a new way.
In Greek mythology, Aquarius is ruled by Prometheus, the god of forethought. He was best known as the god who defied and went against the other gods in order to shape mankind. He brought knowledge and technology to humanity.
These ancient archetypes live within us today as a representation of the various aspects of ourselves. The god Prometheus was the classic rebel – he went against the other gods in the name of bringing something new to the people.
The Full Moon in Aquarius asks us to rebel, to make changes, to do the unexpected – and yet it has us stop and consider our actions thoroughly, slowly and methodically with Saturn in conjunction with this Full Moon.
On a collective level, this brake/pedal theme has been big over the past year and a half with the Saturn/Uranus Squares occurring since February 2021. While this one isn’t exact it’s within a close enough distance to be felt.
The final Saturn/Uranus square will be felt from mid July to December 2022 and the strongest in late September.
It is the big finale. The old structures of Saturn are no longer working, Uranus is ready for huge change.
In our own lives we may want to metaphorically ‘burn it all down’ and start over, and yet we feel stuck and paused like nothing will change or move forward. The lesson is to create change but with thinking it through first. Be careful not to make big and sudden changes without taking that time.
The good news is this transit is almost complete, though it will be around until the end of the year. Uranus moves very slowly and Saturn is retrograde so this Square is a longer transit.
After this, these two planets won’t square again for another 14 years.
You can use this time to contemplate the energies of these two planets and how they play out in your life. Where are you too rigid? Where are you too rebellious? Where is Saturn in your chart and where is Uranus?
Getting to know and understand the planets helps you tune into Cosmic Intelligence and use transits and cycles to guide your life. Learn more in the Become Your Own Astrologer Course.
Full Moon Contemplations
In what area of my life am I wanting to create big change?
How can I create change without changing everything all at once?
How can I surrender my need to control life and allow it to unfold?
Who this Full Moon impacts the most:
Aquarius Sun, Moon and Rising
Capricorn Sun, Moon and Rising
Leo Sun, Moon and Rising
Horoscopes For Each Sign – The area of life you can release something this Full Moon
If you do not know your Sun, Moon, and Rising sign, you can click here to generate your chart.
Look at your Rising Sign first, then Moon, then Sun.
ARIES: The greater network, large groups of people, acquaintances, community, social media, online communities, good luck, money
TAURUS: Work, self-employment, your career, public image, leadership
GEMINI: Father, gurus, spiritual community, foreign travel, blessings, your belief systems, spirituality
CANCER: Death and rebirth, the occult, big life changes and transformation, sexuality, inheritances, other people’s money
LEO: Romantic partner, business partner, clients, anyone you have contracts with
VIRGO: Your service to the world, day job, enemies, your physical body, health, animals, daily routines, therapy
LIBRA: Lovers and romance, play, hobbies, fun, art, intellect, creation, children
SCORPIO: Home, mother, family, emotional wellbeing, ancestral roots, the heart
SAGITTARIUS: Siblings, online business, general business, local life, relatives, short distance travel, writing, speaking, teaching, the mind
CAPRICORN: Self-worth, money, what you eat, your voice, possessions, skills and talents
AQUARIUS: Yourself, ego, how you present yourself to the world, your looks, identity
PISCES: Spirituality, your dream world, the past, pain and loss, isolated places such as hospitals, prisons and institutions, channelling
Fire Burning Full Moon Ritual for Releasing
(Do this under the bright light of the moon if you can)
Prep: Have a pen, paper, glass or metal container filled with water and tweezers on hand.
- Cleanse and purify your space by burning rosemary, bayleaf, cedar, sage or any herbs related to your heritage.
- Take some time to meditate by listening to some music, using a mantra, do breathwork or a guided visualization – anything that works to get you into a meditative space. You can sit at your alter, outside or just somewhere in your home that feels good to you.
- Close your eyes and feel deep into your heart – don’t rush this process, really feel into it
- When you feel ready to write down anything in your life you feel ready to let go of. It can be names of people you want to cut chords with, patterns, old hurts. Space them out so you can cut them up to burn. You may have several listed on the page.
- Rip or cut up the words you wrote into separate pieces. Fold each one up individually and burn over the container of water (using the tweezers so you don’t burn your fingers) As the burns really imagine letting it go. I’ve noticed the ones we’re the most afraid to let go of don’t burn as fast!
- Thank the fire for helping you let go and transmute and close the space.
- After you’ve done the fire burning, cleanse yourself in water – have a bath with rose petals, salts, crystals, feel the energy of this issue, pattern, person, whatever it is really drain from your system as the water drains. You can have a simple shower instead, just envision it all draining and you starting fresh.
- Put on some nice fun dancey music
- Dance in the moonlight! Celebrate the newness you’ve created by letting go