7 Reasons to Love Mercury Retrograde
Every school of thought in astrology has a different view on Mercury Retrogrades – some believe they make the themes associated with Mercury stronger, many say it makes them weaker, and some say a retrograde has you go back and revise your plans.
A retrograde occurs when a planet appears to be going backward in relation to the movement of the other planets in the sky.
People often fear Mercury Retrogrades as something bad. They happen 3-4 times a year on average so are very common, we are in a retrograde much of the time!
Not everyone feels a retrograde the same, it depends so much on your own natal chart, planetary placements and the ‘dignity’ or health of Mercury in your chart.
For mercurial type people, such as writers, speakers, teachers and those ruled by Mercury, a retrograde of Mercury can be extremely fruitful, productive and enjoyable. If you’re born during a mercury retrograde you can actually love the time too!
Ideally you learn to read your own chart so you can see which house the retrograde occurs in, and from there you can see how it’ll impact you personally. They also occur in a different sign and placement in the sky every time, so each one will impact you differently.
Here are 7 reasons why Mercury Retrogrades can be awesome:
1. Mercury is the planet of communication, thinking, humour, play and fun. So we may actually experience more of this energy during a retrograde, which isn’t bad at all!
2. Mercury retrograde is a great time for writing, speaking our truth, connecting to our inner voice and having deep conversations with others.
3. We may feel compelled to reach out to others, clear something up for the past or rekindle a connection, hence why ex’s and old friends tend to come back during a retrograde. For this reason, this period can bring clarity to certain relationships with those we haven’t talked to in a while.
4. Mercury Retrogrades are especially powerful for those with Gemini and Virgo Sun, Moon and Rising placements in their chart – the signs ruled by Mercury. For those with these placements, mercury retrograde can be a lovely time of inspiration or creativity.
5. Mercury is the ‘messenger’ planet, so we can expect exciting news, information, texts, calls and generally more communication to occur.
6. We may find ourselves feeling more witty, sharp minded, productive and can even have a sense of enhanced critical thinking skills.
7. Technology can go awry since the Mercury energy is so intense, which means more time to enjoy ourselves away from tech and into nature. These interruptions can be a blessing in disguise.
It’s important to look at your own chart and feel into how Mercury Retrogrades have impacted you uniquely. Take some time to feel into this one and ask yourself:
How do I feel overall during this Mercury Retrograde?
Has my communication increased during this retrograde?
Have I felt ungrounded, or very much in my head?
In what was can I enjoy this retrograde?
Are retrogrades generally enjoyable for me or difficult?