Dr. Nathaniel Branden is an incredibly gifted supporter and writer in the realms of personal growth and self-esteem. Over the years his books have had a huge impact on my life. A big theme of my own journey has been developing deeper self-respect and stronger boundaries. No better place to go than his books.
1. It is naive to think that self-assertiven
2. Some people stand and move as if they have no right to the space they occupy. They wonder why others often fail to treat them with respect–not realizing that they have signalled others that it is not necessary to treat them with respect.
3. The first step toward change is awareness. The second step is acceptance.
4. Self-esteem is the reputation we acquire with ourselves.
5. There is overwhelming evidence that the higher the level of self-esteem, the more likely one will be to treat others with respect, kindness, and generosity.
6. To love is to see myself in you and to wish to celebrate myself with you. What I love is the embodiment of my values in another person. Love is an act of self-assertion,
7. Tell me how a person judges his or her self-esteem, and I will tell you how that person operates at work, in love, in sex, in parenting, in every important aspect of existence – and how high he or she is likely to rise. The reputation you have with yourself – your self-esteem – is the single most important factor for a fulfilling life.
8. When we learn how to be in an intimate relationship without abandoning our sense of self, when we learn how to be kind without being self-sacrificin
9. It is humiliating to realize that when you drive yourself underground, when you fake who you are, often you do so for people you do not even like or respect.
10. Self-esteem is not a luxury; it is a profound spiritual need.